Wednesday, August 16, 2006

...is the world awash in reality TV?

There once was a very clever ad campaign in New York a few years ago that stated, "I only watch PBS and I never read the New York Post."

Reality TV might be America's newest guilty pleasure, but honestly - I don't get it.

I know why the networks love it, because it's dirt cheap to produce. Even adding the cost of Simon Cowell's tee-shirts, these shows cost nothing. All you need is people willing to make fools of themselves on national TV. There's a reason that "talent" costs money. It has something to do with having TALENT.

The reason I won't watch this crap has nothing to do with being a snob. I can be entertained by an old Three Stooges movie (and have been on many occasions).

The fact is that these shows are about nothing. "Survivor", "Big Brother", and "Fear Factor" are all tutorials on man's inhumanity to man, not to mention tragic examples of what people will do to hurry along their 15 minutes of fame. "American Idol", "So You Think You Can Dance", and "America's Got Talent" are dressed up versions of Ted Mack's original "Amateur Hour". The difference is that Ted Mack wasn't going for cheap laughs. (I guess I shouldn't complain. Ted Mack gave us Frank Sinatra.)

If you like to watch people behaving badly and also getting what they deserve, you must have loved that Hatch guy from "Survivor" getting tossed in jail. Who knew that appearing on TV with no talent or ability could land you in the pokie. Tony Snow, take note.

I understand that in Japan they had a show where people actually maimed themselves for cash and prizes. Now that's entertainment.

These shows, especially "American Idol", have become a genuine phenomenon. I believe that more people voted for AI than voted in the last presidential election. And judging by who won, the Idol voters made a more informed choice. (Sorry. That was too easy.)

Maybe we have stumbled onto something here.

Maybe we should run our elections like "American Idol". Now that's a reality show I would watch.
Each week America would get to vote people out of the race. Candidates would have to strut their stuff in front of a panel similar to the three geniuses that judge "Idol". How about Bill Clinton, Ralph Reed, and for comic relief Ross Perot. At least we would have more choices than those handed to us by the primary system.

Back to TV.

I try to take a democratic view of this stuff. (Big of me, I know) If the American viewing public wants reality TV, they should have it. If you want to watch people just like you eat worms and bathe with scorpions, knock yourself out. Just because I don't see the entertainment value in watching someone with a modicum of singing or dancing ability be humiliated by a troglodyte like Simon Cowell doesn't mean that others won't.

As for me, I'll be over at PBS watching the Stooges retrospective. YNACH! YNACH! YNACH!

No comments: